Thursday, September 3, 2009

An Open Letter to God

The "Unadorable" Child
(written by Mrs. Terry B. King, 1995)

Dear Lord: 

You look down on us as “dear children”.  Yesterday, I held a child in my arms; a child that has been considered "unadorable." But I thank you Lord in that what people consider as unadorable is not unadorable in your eyesight.  As I held this child in my arms, I thought about inward and outward beauty. I also thought about how it does not matter to you how spiritually unadorable we are, your arms are always open to forgiveness. Not holding against us our spiritual handicaps, but through mercy and grace, you are always there to wipe the tears from our eyes. So, why can't we, as humans, love these "unadorable" children as you love us?  As I held this child, who has suffered much scorn because of the lack of physical beauty, in my arms, I began to understand what you consider to be "unadorable." For the seven things that are "unadorable" to you are not "unadorable" to the ways of this world. They are:

1) a proud look
2) a lying tongue
3) hands that shed innocent blood
4) a heart that devises wicked plans
5) feet that are swift in running to evil
6) a false witness who speaks lies
7) one who sows discord among brethren (Proverbs 6:16-19)

As I continued to hold this child, you filled my heart full of outgoing love, care and concern. I saw then that beauty is not how one may look on the outside, but the very love of God from within. Therefore, this "unadorable" child has done no wrong towards its accusers. Through you, we can learn to be caring, to be concerned, to be compassionate, and to love an "unadorable" child; because you first loved us [the "unadorable" children of this world (John 3:16)].  As I continued to hold this child in my arms, I began to wonder how you promised to always hold, comfort, and ease our hurts and pains. I began to wonder how, regardless of our spiritual ugliness, you always have compassion in your eyes for us. I began to wonder how you promised to never forsake or leave us for any reason. You are always there for us! So why can't we, as humans, love these "unadorable" children as you love us?

As I held this child in my arms, I prayed that you would continue to instill within my heart, your compassion, your love, your mercy, and your grace so I could love an "unadorable" child as you love me. I prayed that you would give this child the encouragement and strength it needs in order to survive in a world full of spiritual ugliness.  As I continued to think on your mercy and grace, I began to see the beauty within this child. For that beauty was only the desire and need to be held, loved, and cared for. That child began to look on me with compassion from its little eyes. That child knew that someone cared.And through caring, the child's face glowed with hope. Just like through you Lord, we have hope because we know you care. So, why can't we, as humans, love these "unadorable" children as you love us? 

When I gave the child back to its mother, the child's last expression "or choice of words" was a smile. Because the child knew someone cared. As a loving parent Lord, you promised to be with us until the end of our days. You promised to give us a home in your everlasting kingdom. Where pain, suffering, and tears will never be heard of! A home where all children will be adorable! So let's, as humans, love these "unadorable" children as Christ loves us so that our last "choice of words" will be a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment